Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Looking Back -- October 19 and 20, 2005


Charlotte and Caitlyn on October 23, 2005 when they were 3 and 4 days old.

I am sharing the birth story of my 2005 twins, which were babies number 3 and 4 for us.

I began labor at 30 weeks. I had been hospitalized several times and been given steroids and magnesium. I had been having a rough time. Every time I went in for an appointment, they kept telling me to wait until my body was completely ready to labor. I was frustrated. I couldn't walk, sit or lay down I was in so much pain. I had already moved to sleeping on the sofa because I couldn't get myself on the bed! I had scheduled an appointment with another doctor hoping they could do something for me. I had gone to my regular doctor's office to have my file sent to the new doctor. Later that night my regular doctor called me and asked what was wrong. I flat out told her that I couldn't take the pain anymore, it was time for them to get out! And since she wasn't going to do anything, then I would find someone else who would. I was at the time 35 weeks, 6 days. She said to come in for an appointment the next day (October 19th) and we'd see what we could do. I went in and was still contracting and had dilated to 2 cm. Based on previous ultrasounds, the babies were good sized. The only thing they were worried about was their lungs. She admitted me to the hospital at noon. She agreed to induce me since I had the steroid shots weeks before. By 3 PM when she checked on me, I had not progressed much even with the inducement. She was going to break my water but wanted to wait until after her office closed so she could devote all her attention to me. The hospital had already called in extra staff since 2 women had given birth prior to me, and another had come in that was in labor. She broke my water around 6 PM. By 11 PM I had had enough and asked for an epidural. The anthesiologist (sp) came in and got the needle in my back and about the time I laid back down so they could start the dang thing I had gone from 4 cm - 10 cm! They never started it, but left it there in case of an emergency c-section. I had in the room with me: Chris, my doctor, my L&D nurse (who I had grown up with; she was like a sister to me), 2 nursery nurses, the OR nurse (they had the OR staff there in case of an emergency c-section), the anthesiologist, and sometime or another my mother showed up (uninvited but I was in pain and really didn't feel the need to argue at that moment). I began pushing and at 11:42 PM Baby A entered the world. She weighed 5 lbs, 12 oz and was 19.25" long. The doctor did a quick ultrasound to check Baby B's position. She was head down and ready (they also panicked a bit because after Baby A exited, Baby B moved and they lost her heartbeat for a few minutes). She broke Baby B's water, and I started pushing. Chris and my mom told me to push harder but I told them to shut up and they could push as hard as they wanted when they were the ones giving birth! Baby B was born at 12:02 am on October 20th! She weighed 6 lbs, 8.5 oz and was 19" long. They were both just as healthy as they could be. I even remember telling my doctor "Told you they would be fine." as she was stitching me from where Baby B's big head ripped me (I was fine with Caitlyn). LOL

Baby A was named Caitlyn Renee. Baby B was named Charlotte Alayna. Charlotte was in memory of my granddaddy, Charles and Alayna was in honor of our best friend who was killed in 2000, John Alan.


Caitlyn and Charlotte in 2009.

1 comment:

Michele said...

Happy Birthday to the twins (sorry I'm a day late)!