Saturday, December 5, 2009

Update on Pregnancy, Week #26

On Friday (yesterday), I received a call from a strange number. These days I rarely answer the phone if I do not recognize the number because I can only say "No, I'm not Jared." so many times before I get fed up. I decided to google the number and it came up as the number for my doctor's other office. Ah, no wonder I didn't recognize it. So, I called it back and talked with the nurse. Apparently when they sent my bloodwork off for my GTT (Glucose Tolerance Test) they also checked it for other things. She said I was "slightly anemic". Oh, joy. I have never been anemic before. But, when I looked it up, it explained a lot of how I was feeling.

(The ones I have been feeling are in bold.)
If you do develop anemia, you might not have any symptoms at all, especially if your condition is mild. Or you might feel tired, weak, and dizzy. (Of course, these are symptoms that many women have anyway during pregnancy, anemic or not.) You might also notice that you're paler (especially in your fingernails, the underside of your eyelids, and your lips) and have a rapid heartbeat, heart palpitations, shortness of breath, or trouble concentrating. Finally, some studies have found a link between severe iron-deficiency anemia and cravings for non-food substances such as ice, paper, or clay (a condition known as pica). If you do have these cravings, don't give in to them, and be sure to tell your healthcare provider. (Taken from BabyCenter)

Now I am on Hemocyte-F once a day.

No comments: