Wednesday, November 18, 2009

24 Weeks -- Baby Connor's Progress

I am officially 24 weeks today. Little Connor is a very active baby. More late at night than during the day. I think I am measuring on the big side for a single pregnancy, but maybe he's just going to be a big boy.

I will update with a belly picture as soon as I can.

Here's some info I found on this week of pregnancy:
Mother:
Your fundus (top of the uterus) reaches just above your navel! You are now aware of your baby's movements and may even be able to tell the sleep/wake cycles of your little one. It is important to recognize the signs of premature labor. Premature labor is actually more common in the summer months, thought to be caused by dehydration in some women, so continue drinking lots of water!

**My note: I cannot stay hydrated for anything!**

Baby:
Your baby is almost completely formed, and is beginning to deposit brown fat on his or her body. The purpose of the brown fat is to retain body heat. Newborns are bad at regulating body temperature at first.
Babies born at this point have some chances of survival with very special care. They will be in the Intensive Care Unit, probably for many months. A major problem with premature babies is lung development.
He weighs in at 1 lb 5 ounces (595 grams) and 30 cms or 11.8 inches total length!

**My note: Connor weighed about 1 lb, 1 oz at 22 weeks.**

Dad:
Mom is now visibly pregnant for most everyone to notice. You may feel a swell of pride when talking about her and the new baby. This is a normal feeling, though some men say it really surprised them.



**Updated: Thursday, November 19, 2009**
I had my 24 week appointment. Everything was good. Connor's heartbeat was 140. I go back in 2 weeks for my 26 wee appointment and my GTT (Glucose Tolerance Test).

No comments: