Saturday, November 21, 2009

A Dirty Word: Procrastinate

pro⋅cras⋅ti⋅nate [proh-kras-tuh-neyt]

–verb (used without object)
1. to defer action; delay: to procrastinate until an opportunity is lost.
–verb (used with object)
2. to put off till another day or time; defer; delay.

This has totally been me lately when it comes to schoolwork! I am so behind, it is really not even funny. I chose to take online classes because let's face it -- I am way too busy to have to go sit in a class at a set time. I have 4 kids under the age of 5. Plus 2 of school age that I home school. I always end up doing my schoolwork late at night after the hubby and kids have gone to sleep. And just like the previous 2 semesters, I have allowed myself to get behind. I always do it. I start out great, everything done each week and always on schedule. That usually lasts a couple of weeks, then I start slipping. In the classes where there is an absolute deadline, as in the professor pulls the quiz off line and refuses make ups, I am usually found doing it within hours of that deadline. And in the other classes where they give you a suggested timeline but all you have to do is make sure you have all assignments done by the last day of class, I am usually working 10 hours a day the last week to get them done. So, this semester is no different. I am once again behind in almost every class.

How far behind, you ask? Let's put it this way: I am currently taking 6 classes totalling 18 credits. Here is how far behind I am in them:

1) Accounting for the Small Business - I can say that I am not behind in this class. All I have left is my final project due 12/8.

2) Computerized Accounting - Again, I am not behind. I have to complete Chapters 13 and 14 and email 2 reports by midnight EST on 11/22. After that, I have my final test due by 11/29 and my Final Project due by 12/6/

3) Interpersonal Communication - Hahahaha!!!! Ready for this? I have to complete 5 online discussion questions and 2 papers just to be caught up. I still have 3 online discussions plus a final discussion, 3 quizzes and a final exam that are due by 12/14. Wonderful. This class wasn't even a requirement. I just thought it would be a good subject for someone who wants to work with the public. WRONG! I learned that I was a doormat and my parents set me up for failure as a child. Oh, and I'm prone to health issues due to my communication skills. This class was such a self-esteem booster, I tell ya!

4) Principles of Accounting II - This is one of those classes where the professor is strict and you will not ever be behind! I have to complete 2 chapters of homework and 1 quiz by 11/29. I have my (optional) Final Exam and a computer problem due by 12/6. I will be taking the optional exam. It replaces my lowest test grade and heaven knows I need a better grade.

5) Survey of Economics - Just to be caught up I have to complete 1 quiz in chapter 3 and 3 quizzes in each of these chapters: 4-15. And complete 3 tests. Then, I still have 3 quizzes in Chapter 17 due by 12/4 and one test due by 12/7.

6) Greek Mythology - Oh, just shoot me now!!! I totally hate this class. I had to take a Humanities course for my degree. Yeah, well, this is what you get when you let your husband choose a class for you. I love Mythology, but this class is ridiculous! I have to email my professor because a) I haven't done an assignment in 2 weeks, b) I've missed 2 tests and I know she allows makeups, but I need those 2 tests plus the last one mailed to library in Louisiana so I can have them proctored there and c) For extra credit I am reading Homer's Odyssey and saw another book I want to see if its acceptable and what I need to do for the credit. Blah.....

And, did I mention that I have registered for my classes in the spring. And again I have probably bitten off more than I can chew: Intermediate Accounting I, Cost Accounting I, Auditing I, Principles of Supervision I, and Principles of Macroeconomics.

Right now, the dirtiest word in my vocabulary is procrastinate. Does anyone know if there is a support group for people like me???


1 comment:

Susan Walker said...

BANG!! (refer to first sentence under Greek Mythology) lol Girl you are one busy person!! Get busy and don't forget to breathe! Happy Thanksgiving!!

Susan~